24 April 2005

For Elvira (at least, paragraphs 3-5)

You know, writing that last column was like taking a huge breath and just letting it all out. I guess things build up like that sometimes. Maybe that's why it's called venting. I sure seem to be doing a lot of it these days.

What I need to remember is that I've got another year of this law school gig. Actually, more than a year. Probably more like 380 days. 380 days to have fun, have new experiences, meet new people, and just generally enjoy life. From what I hear, being a 3L is great. Like Tony the Tiger great. I've sort of lined up my course schedule, and that looks pretty okay. I've avoided anything really awful, and Thursdays and Fridays are basically empty for me. Very cool. So why am I stressing about all this going into the real world stuff? I've got plenty of time to just relax. I think I might even make some time to learn golf this summer. It's good that I have another year.

There are many people I know, though, who don't have another year. Who are taking the big plunge. I wanted to take this moment, because I know I'll forget if I wait on it, to offer a big CONGRATULATIONS to all those people I know who are graduating. It's a big moment, whether from high school, college, law school, or something else. It's not every day that you get to wear a gown and hood or mortarboard. At least, I'm assuming that's not part of your everyday wardrobe. It's not that comfortable, really. But there's something about wearing that get-up and shaking hands with the deans of the school and getting a diploma (even if it's not real and you get the real thing weeks later). Or draping your arms around your family for pictures and feeling a little taller tahn usual. Maybe because dress shoes do that, but I'd like to think it's more spiritual.

But of all the people I know graduating from this or that--and there are many--I wanted to most of all congratulate my sister. Good going, for want of a better expression. I know exams are still coming up, but you know you're gonna nail those, and then you'll be graduating. Graduating. No more waiting. No more transfers. No more credits. No more bad survey classes. At least until you get to graduate or professional school, but that's not really as tough as everyone makes it seem. Just enjoy these next couple weeks, because it really is an accomplishment to get your bachelor's degree. You may not have taken the conventional path in getting there, and it all may have taken a little longer than I know you would have liked. But think of how much richer your experience has been. Think of the people you've met, the places you've seen, the things you've done. Think of how much more ready you are to face the world than most people are when they get their bachelors. Because you've been living with one foot in that so called real world for years now. I've been able to share most of it with you, so I know just how hard you've worked, and I'll never let you forget it. Sometimes, the twistiest paths are the most interesting and the most unforgettable. I think, when you look back on this time, you'll realize just how true that is.

So, congratulations. With a capital C, in size 72 font. I'm more proud of you than you probably know, but I guess now you do. Good going :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home